Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Scandinavian Languages

From:Andreas Johansson <andjo@...>
Date:Monday, August 18, 2003, 22:04
Quoting Tristan McLeay <kesuari@...>:

> Andraes Johanssunu Æ¿raet: > > Exactly what vowel it is depends on dialect. In mine, it's a high central > > rounded vowel. Some dialects have a labialized (same lip position as > > Swedish "o" if that's any help) version of this, some a labialized [2] > (mid- > > high front rounded). None is exactly usual, and substituting [y] or [u] is > a > > bad idea - those are both claimed by other phonemes (don't even think of > using > > a plain [2]!). > > What's the lip position of Swedish 'o' and how do labialised [2] and > plain [2] differ? :)
I'm sort of hoping that BP will come to my rescue, but I'll try to explain. Swedish, of course, have front rounded vowels, [y:], [Y], [2:] and [2] (and allophonic [9(:)], plus that there's dialects with extras ...). There are also so-called back rounded vowels, which are pronouced with the lips thrust forward a bit and more rounded than normal rounded vowels; I guess you could SAMPAcize them as [u^w:], [U^w], [o^w:] and [O^w], but the labialization is normally left not indicated - it's subphonemic anyway. "Swedish 'o'" is [u^w:] and [U^w], which are spelt |o| (which grapheme also spells [o^w:] and [O^w], which phones can also be spelt |å| (a-ring); English does not monopolize atrocious vowel spellings). For some speakers, including BP but not me, /}/ is labialized. For me the short variant is [8] and the long [}:]; I think BP's 'lect has [8^w] and [2^w:], but he better answers that himself. For those with [2^w], the labialization is phonemic in this case, distinguishing /}/ and /2/. (Then there also dialects that have merged /2/ with /}/, but I don't know how they realize it.) Andreas