Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Kitchen furniture (was: Re: "write him" was Re: More questions)

From:Isidora Zamora <isidora@...>
Date:Friday, November 28, 2003, 22:46
At 08:49 PM 11/27/03 -0800, you wrote:
>Tristan McLeay wrote: > > The kitchen dresser in our kitchen has cupboards down the > > bottom for crockery, a spice rack, and cupboards up the top > > for glasses, cups etc. It's probably about 1.5--2 m wide, where > > the m doesn't stand for mile. The bottom sticks out further than > > the top, which sticks out further than the middle; the shelf hence > > made above the bottom is where our telephone/diary etc. live. > >What you describe was common in America until the 1950s, but >was commonly called "the kitchen furniture" in much of the U.S.
My mother has one of these that belonged to her mother (and you can still buy them new today.) I have never heard it called anything other than a "hutch." (I know that a hutch is also the thing you keep domestic rabbits in as well.) My mother (who happens to be with us for Thanksgiving at the moment) confirms that what she has is a hutch. She says that there is also something similar called a "Hoosier cabinet," but that she thinks those have a flour sifter up above. Are the upper doors on your kitchen dresser made of glass? That is typical for a hutch. Isidora


Costentin Cornomorus <elemtilas@...>