Re: *mumble* *grumble* sound changes *mutter*
|From:||Henrik Theiling <theiling@...>|
|Date:||Friday, April 28, 2006, 10:19|
Paul Bennett writes:
> So, I'm notating the sound changes I have been using for Thagojian. I
> have about 5KB so far, which seemed quite nifty, until I looked at
> Thrjotran's 50KB file.
> The more I look at the results, the less satisfied I am that they
> plausibly represent an IE language at around 1000CE, when compared to
> the difference between PIE and (e.g.) Old English, or even Lithuanian.
You mean it's still too closely related to PIE?
> There is going to me a *major* set of updates. Be it noted that the
> language formerly known as Thagojian should henceforth be known as
> Classical Thagojian (Version 1.0). I guess I need to start paying
> attention to vowel length and stress placement in PIE, as well as
> learning more about the nominal and verbal stems, and the sound
> changes in both Indo-Iranian and Balto-Slavic. Not to mention the
> sound changes in Coptic and Hebrew. Ach y fi.
In a (remote) future version of the script, stress will probably be
directly supported. Benct had to do some complicated stuff, too, to
handle stress, I think. I did not need it, since stress is always on
the first syllable in my file, but I did put it onto my TODO list.
> This will be no small undertaking, I fear...
But hopefully, it's fun! :-)
And please show us results as soon as you think you have something