Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ    Attic   

Re: uvular click

From:Matthew Turnbull <ave.jor@...>
Date:Monday, January 5, 2009, 18:30
Ah, thank you for that, that makes much more sense, it is an ingressive.
Also, thank you for the clarification on what a click is, I was lead
to believe that all voiceless implosives were called clicks.

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Alex Fink <000024@...> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 19:26:06 -0600, Matthew Turnbull <ave.jor@...> wrote: > >>no, I meant a uvular click, it's really not that hard to do, to test >>out sounds for conlangs I usually pick a MOA and "roll" it from front >>to back on the POAs, so I made a uvular click (which is just an >>ingressive uvular plosive right?), > > Clicks are _velaric_ ingressives (or at least dorsal ingressives): that is, > their airflow is inward but into a low-pressure compartment formed by the > two points of contact of the tongue, the further back of which is dorsal. > You can't have a uvular click since there's no such point further back. > Your sound is probably a _glottalic_ ingressive uvular stop, much like a > voiceless version of an implosive. That's generally written [G\_<_0] now, > but like the other voiceless glottalic ingressives it used to have its own > symbol [q_<], q with hooktop. Unless yours is voiced; then it's just [G\_<]. > >>and all I can find is uvular >>accompanyment. >>I think that I am making it with epiglottal accompanyment, but am not sure. > > If you are, that's purely extra; there's no reason glottalic ingressives > would need an accompaniment. > > Alex >