Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Vibrants (was: New conlang)

From:John Vertical <johnvertical@...>
Date:Wednesday, August 3, 2005, 9:20
>The term percussive is now reserved for a small set of phones, mostly found >in disordered speech, though the sublingual percussive occurs in some >productions of the alveolar click (...)
>A *very* old term that I thought nicely covered taps, flaps & trills was >'vibrant', but it doesn't seem to be used much in the literature now.
Thanks for the answers - I have come across the term "vibrant" already a few times, but I wasn't sure if it included all 3 of trills, taps & flaps. I have no idea why is there need to differentiate the terms "tap" and "percussive" ... are you insinuating that the latter term was earlier used more widely?? I think I'll also note that it seems to me that some trills are inherently "flapped" (/B\/) and others "tapped" (/r R\/). John Vertical _________________________________________________________________ Nopea ja hauska tapa lähettää viestejä reaaliaikaisesti - MSN Messenger.