Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: numerals

From:Justin Mansfield <jdm314@...>
Date:Monday, June 25, 2001, 1:10
On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 18:19:18 -0400, Padraic Brown <pbrown@...>

>On Sun, 24 Jun 2001, O'Connell James wrote: > >>I was just wondering...what is the technical term for >>these form of numeral: > >I think "numeric adverbs" or similar might work as a >good catch-all.
Yeah, these are indeed called the adverb form in the tradition of Latin grammar.
> >>once, twice, thrice... > >Is there anything beyond thrice?
Well, not in English!
> >>solo, duet, threesome and similar terms > >_Trio_, quartet, quintet, etc. > >A threesome is a menage a trois. ;) > >I recall that "one by one" etc are distributive >adverbs if that helps any. >
What's the term for the Celtic forms that mean "group of N people"? I'm sure there is one. Justin
>Padraic. > >>James