Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

speaking of laterals

From:Rachel Klippenstein <estel_telcontar@...>
Date:Tuesday, March 25, 2003, 1:02
Just before Christmas I discovered a possible
distinction between 2 types of (alveolar) lateral
fricatives.  Both have the front/tip of the tongue up
against the alveolar ridge.  One, which I think is the
traditional [K] or "l" with a squiggle, has its
lateral escape fairly far back, along the molars, in
roughly the palatal or velar area, and its front
closure is quite broad.  The other is closed back in
the molar region, but has lateral escape just on
either side of the tongue tip.  It sounds to me like a
cross between [K] and [T], but quite distinguishable
from both.  Now does anyone know of an ANADEW
precedent for this?

Or can I not call upon ANADEW for this, since I
haven't actually integrated it into a conlang yet :-)

Another thing I've been wanting to call upon ANADEW
for: a three-way distinction between [r] (trill), [r\]
(approximant), and [4] (tap).

Hmm, maybe I should come up with a language composed
entirely of laterals and rhotics ofvarious sorts,
syllabic and non-syllabic (but I won't)


Post your free ad now!


Garth Wallace <gwalla@...>