Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Notation Question

From:R.M. Whelton <rmwhelton@...>
Date:Saturday, March 26, 2005, 22:37

I'm reading about sound changes in languages, and I keep seeing
what I can tell is a formal notation system. It's obviously set up
as  A > B / C  where A is the original sound, B is the sound it
changes into, and C is the environment in which the change occurs.
So far, so good.

My problem is that I can't seem to find a list of how to read all
the symbols used in the notation. Does the darned thing have
a proper name that I could feed to Google? Is there a site out
there somewhere with a guide for reading this stuff, that some
kind soul could pass on to me?

Many, many thanks,
Robin Whelton


Roger Mills <rfmilly@...>