Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

help: Naming Trentish voice markers

From:Muke Tever <alrivera@...>
Date:Monday, June 10, 2002, 4:40
Okay.   I'm working through my notes on Trentish... got to a section on voice,
trying to write this up, and I don't really know how to name all these.

Assuming that I've got all this right, a trent can say:

    kat'elamenñy      "I am painting the house."

    kat'epa lamen     "The house is being painted."
    kat'epa ñ?uulamen "The house is being painted by me."

    tlilamenñy        "I am painting."
    Uklamenñy         "I am painting [myself/part of myself]"
    englamenñy        "I am painting teeth"
    engapa Uklamenñy  "I am painting [my] teeth"

eng(a) = row of teeth
kat'e  = house
lamen  = to paint or color
ñ(y)   = first person marker

Now I am pretty sure <Uk-> is middle voice.  I don't know what to call <tli->
and <?uu->.  (My instinct wants to call <tli-> antipassive, though... is that

or, a better way:

          Agentfocus Patientfocus marking
           high       low             zero
           high       no patient   tli-
           high       agt=pat      Uk-

           low        high         ?uu-
           no agent   high            zero
           agt=pat    high         (unattested.. *Uk- ?)

I guess I know how to use this but not how to describe it.   Help would be



nicole dobrowolski <fuzzybluemonkeys@...>
JS Bangs <jaspax@...>