Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ    Attic   

Re: Lateral/vowel coarticulation

From:Jörg Rhiemeier <joerg_rhiemeier@...>
Date:Thursday, February 19, 2009, 20:17

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:14:19 -0800, Roger Mills wrote:

> Eric Christopherson wrote: > [...] > > (I think that, technically speaking, this is not a > > "vowel" because of the blockage of air flow... so > > I wonder what it *would* be called?) > > The air isn't totally blocked, of course, it's getting out via the lowered > sides of the tongue and the upper teeth. A "lateralized vowel"??????? I > wonder if Ladefoged et al. have ever encountered this, or considered it....
I also use the term "lateralized vowel". I think it captures well what kind of sound they are. ... brought to you by the Weeping Elf