Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Retroflex vowels?

From:Christophe Grandsire <christophe.grandsire@...>
Date:Saturday, January 26, 2002, 16:22
En réponse à Clint Jackson Baker <litrex1@...>:

> I brought this one up a couple of weeks ago and it > somehow got missed. In my idiolect (thanks to whoever > used that word in a post yesterday!) I say the words > Paul, pole, and pull (esp the latter two) with what > seem to be only two phones. My tongue indeed seems to > be in a retroflex position; it's like I've assimilated > the [l] into the vowel. Would I be right in calling > this a retroflex vowel? How would I represent it in > SAMPA? >
Well, is it comparable to the vowel in "car"? I mean, the tongue position when you pronounce the vowel. If it is, it's what is called rhotic vowels.In IPA, they are marked by a strange little appendix on the top-right hand corner. They are indeed often called "retroflex vowels" (though the correct name is rhotic vowels), and in X-SAMPA are marked the same way as retroflex consonants, with a ` sign after the vowel. So we have /a`/, /e`/ and /o`/ as we have /t`/ and /r`/. In fact, I know the retroflex marking of consonants in X-SAMPA is inspired by the rhotic mark, due to the fact that the acoustic phenomenon is comparable. So basically you can call that retroflex vowels or rhotic vowels :) .
> Sorry for these seemingly frivolous posts. It's > partly because I've been up bored surfing all night > and partly because this list is as much a crash course > in linguistics as anything. >
Isn't it? :))) I love this list for that. All possible linguistic questions (and even often non-linguistic questions) get answers here :) . Christophe. Take your life as a movie: do not let anybody else play the leading role.


Clint Jackson Baker <litrex1@...>