|From:||Carlos Thompson <chlewey@...>|
|Date:||Wednesday, December 9, 1998, 17:01|
Well. My working project is a conculture of human beings living in a par=
universe. Detaills of this universe and the history of Earth there will =
dicover during the project, as I know more and more about the culture I'm=
studing and their neighbourghs, and researching throu their scripts on th=
history. That's difficoult after my body can't go there to physically
What I know this far is that:
* They are humans (_Homo sapiens_)
* They have developed an industrial civilization which is not quite the =
ours. They have computers and computer networks but they don't seem very=
similar to ours.
* The specific culture I'm studing is secular. Mos't people follow the
official religion but priests do not rule people's lifes.
* This culture is called Hangkerim, but I do not still know what that me=
* Their language seems to be polisyntetic... but after I'm not a linguis=
cannot be sure about that. As I will be describing their language, I hop=
experts of this list will help me whit the definition.
* Hangkerim is politically divided into three _countries_, two of those =
rival parlamental kingdoms and the third is a small republic. They share=
language, the official religion and some common history. I guess they wh=
country some time ago but split appart by political rivalities.
* Most Hangkerimians recognize themselves as one people.
* Most Hangkerimians have not big respect for civil or religious authori=
They believe authority is born on people's respect and not on institution=
a priest or a king has earned people's respect, they will be called _lead=
the people, other way they will be just _priest_ or _king_. These later =
are not very impresive to people.
* There are people who follow other beliefes but are a minority and, in =
cases, they think and act as any other Hangkerimian.
* Hangkerimian leadership philosophy is very important to them, and the =
antiguverment movements are based on preservation of this ideals.
* The armies of the two kingdoms are based on foreing-mercenaries. The
republic has a non-mercenary and non-permanent army.
* The common religion has given the people that common sense and philoso=
They believe in what religion says but not too much in what priests say.
* The kingdom of Kurimpe has almost 20 million people over a 870.000 km2=
The kingdom of Jelamha has 12 million people over a 1.050.000 km2 area. =
republic of Daluram has 700.000 people over a 20.000 km2 area.
About the language, after I'm begining to learn it, I can't tell to much =
* Their script system seams to me as being sylabic but iconic elements a=
* As I said, I believe their language is polisyntetic.
* I'm still deciding for a romanization wich follows the script or one
following the pronunciation, after one element of the script will have a =
sound used alone but it pronunciation will asimilate with souronding elem=
when spoken. (The word _hangkerim_ will sound /aN'ke.rim/ alone but coul=
like /'?a~.gE.rIn/ or /huN'gE@.jim/ or many other ways).
* Even if they look very similar, people find difficoult reading hundred=
old texts but seem to read easilly text from Hangkerians of the other
countries. After their holly scripts are between 350 and 3500 years old =
some priests and munks read them, but there are lots of modern versions o=
* They have individual, grupal and class marking, and singular, paucal a=
* The language has almost no distinction between men and women, but ther=
some cultural distinction. Most civil and almost every religious places =
ocupied by men. Most women rule their homes.
* Hangkerim marks recognized autority in adressing. Kings won't feel of=
when people does not used this addresing to them (they feel worried).
More on this culture and language will be presented when I discover more =
it or some of my fellow conlangers ask for clarification, thus fucusing m=
Chlewey Thompin ## ####
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/9028/ ## ## ##
- =BFPor qu=E9 no?
- No tiene sentido.
- =BFQu=E9 sentido? El sentido no existe.
- El sentido inverso. O el sentido norte. El sentido com=FAn, tal ve=
z. O sin
sentido, como aqu=ED.
(-- Graeville 2)