Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Korean "Glottalized" Stops (was: What is gemination? What are geminates?

From:Kristian Jensen <kljensen@...>
Date:Wednesday, November 8, 2000, 15:13
YHL wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, D Tse wrote: > >> >No, that's *definitely* not glottalized, but tensed obstruents. Under >> > I have a link to a Korean >> >language website that has audio clips, which is probably the fastest way >> >to figure out what's going on as far as learning what it sounds like. >> >> I knew I'd seen it somewhere! It's the very site you linked to that >> says "pp" et alia is known as glottalised! >> >> >> >> Does anyone care to comment on what the technical name *should* be? > >Very puzzling! Because those sounds sure as heck don't *sound* >glottalized to me. <shaking head> Anyone know?
From what I read on the phonetics of Korean stops, the so-called fortis stops of Korean are glottalized. I think YHL is equating it with ejective, which isn't always the case. Yes, ejectives are glottalized, but glottalized stops aren't always ejectives. They can for instance be implossive. I have seen reports of the laryngeal activity of these stops, and the fortis stops have vocal chord positions associated with stiff to creaky voicing but without the vibrations. So a better term for these stops I think are stiff voiceless fortis stops even though stiff and voiceless together seems counterintuitive. But the fortis feature might have something to do with it being voiceless anyways, so perhaps just stiff fortis stop is enough. In fact, that's what Ladefoged calls them in "Sounds of the World's Languages". -kristian- 8)