Re: CHAT: Rosaries (was: Ave Maria)
|From:||Barry Garcia <barry_garcia@...>|
|Date:||Wednesday, June 28, 2000, 22:43|
>The full rosary is now normally used only by certain religious orders
>it forms part of their dress. The rest of us, whether lay or not, in
>normally use the smaller one as since the 16th cent. the common practice
>has been to recite only five of the fifteen mysteries at any one time. If
>one wants to recite all fifteen mysteries, then you simply go round your
>beads three times :)
Just to throw this out there...
I asked my mom the ritual with the rosary for lay people and she says it
goes like this:
At the chain hanging down:
- You start at the crucifix at the bottom, you say the act of contrition
(my guide book says apostles creed),
- at the first bead an our father
- three Hail Marys at the three beads
- a glory be at the chain dividing the single bead, and at the single
bead, an our father.
On the loop:
- There are five series of ten beads on the loop. For each bead you say a
- there are single beads separating each set of ten beads and at these you
say an our father.
- at the chain dividing each set of 10 beads from the single beads you say
a glory be.
It's kind of hard to describe without showing, but that's the basics,
according to mom. (any other catholics thing they can illustrate better?
This ain't a yes, this ain't a no, just do your thang, we'll see how it