Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Bilabial Clicks (was Re: A Reminder to MAARTEN VAN BEEK and others)

From:Dan Sulani <dnsulani@...>
Date:Wednesday, January 16, 2002, 10:32
On 16 Jan, David Peterson wrote:


> Also, about clicks. They say, for example, that a bilabial click is
> you make the kissing sound. But what about when you make a popping sound > with both your lips? They're two very different sounds, yet...represented
> the same symbol?
If I understand you correctly, the "kiss" you are referring to is the click made with both lips extended. What do you mean by the "popping" sound? Is it the click made with both lips held flat against the teeth? (It is also possible to make a click with the lips pulled inward, over the teeth [in which case it can be done either with the lips themselves or with the area surrounding the lips]. Or is _this_ the "popping" sound you were referring to?) Anyhow, as you point out, there seems to be only one symbol in the IPA for "bilabial" clicks. Could one use the IPA diacritics (such as those for "rounded" or "retracted") to specify types of bilabial clicks? Dan Sulani --------------------------- likehsna rtem zuv tikuhnuh auag inuvuz vaka'a. A word is an awesome thing.