Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   


From:Heather Rice <florarroz@...>
Date:Thursday, September 27, 2001, 2:26
To anyone who knows anything about English dialects.

I was at an ladies expat brunch one day, and we were
talking about weather and aircon and things of that
sort, and one lady (from England, somewhere near
London I believe, who had lived in Saudi Arabia for
some years) started talking about how the "muzzies"
get into the houses through the cracks in the windows.
 Well, I didn't know what "muzzies" were, so I asked
and found out that they were mosquitoes.  Now, I
thought it was interesting that the lady from Scotland
sitting beside me didn't know what "muzzies" were
either.  Is this 1.  An affectionate term for
mosquitoes that only English people in Saudi Arabia
use or 2.  a term belonging to only a certain dialect
of England or 3.  Just a word that this one lady
happened to know but we didn't?

Where ever it came from, I kinda like the word.


Do You Yahoo!?
Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! Messenger.


tristan alexander mcleay <zsau@...>
Steve Hefford <steve@...>
Michael Poxon <m.poxon@...>
Rik Roots <rikroots@...>