Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: muzzies

From:Rik Roots <rikroots@...>
Date:Sunday, October 14, 2001, 15:21
Hi, Heather.

It's an English thing, not an expat thing. I tend to say mozzies for
mosquitoes. So I would suggest answer 3.

I note you say "aircon" :->


> To anyone who knows anything about English dialects. > > I was at an ladies expat brunch one day, and we were > talking about weather and aircon and things of that > sort, and one lady (from England, somewhere near > London I believe, who had lived in Saudi Arabia for > some years) started talking about how the "muzzies" > get into the houses through the cracks in the windows. > Well, I didn't know what "muzzies" were, so I asked > and found out that they were mosquitoes. Now, I > thought it was interesting that the lady from Scotland > sitting beside me didn't know what "muzzies" were > either. Is this 1. An affectionate term for > mosquitoes that only English people in Saudi Arabia > use or 2. a term belonging to only a certain dialect > of England or 3. Just a word that this one lady > happened to know but we didn't? > > Where ever it came from, I kinda like the word. > > Heather > > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! Messenger. >
-- Pop in for a browse, when you have a moment to spare...