Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: what should i call this?

From:Eldin Raigmore <eldin_raigmore@...>
Date:Saturday, March 24, 2007, 15:55
--- In, hotaru.firefly@... wrote:
> > On Friday 23 March 2007 5:16 pm, Jim Henry (Jim Henry > <jimhenry1973@...>) wrote: > > Can you give examples of what meaning-transformation > > "-ca" causes in other verbs? > > ok... here's another one... > toner=be in front of or ahead of > şes=2nd person singular pronoun > cem=1st person singular pronoun > > toner cem şes. = we are facing each other or moving toward each other. > tonerca cem şes. = you are facing or moving toward me, but i may or > may not be > facing you or moving toward you. >
Sounds like "-ca" indicates the _non_-reciprocal, or at least the not- necessarily-reciprocal, form of verbs which are frequently reciprocal. If there are "detransitivizers" and "antipassives", why shouldn't there be a "dereciprocalizer"? In most languages with a reciprocal voice, the reciprocal is the marked voice; in yours, the reciprocal is unmarked (at least in some verbs), and the non- reciprocal is marked (at least in those verbs). "-ca" indicates that a verb whose unmarked form denotes reciprocal action-or- relationship, in the "-ca"-marked form will denote not-necessarily-reciprocal instead. Am I right?