Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Phonological terminology question

From:Danny Wier <dawier@...>
Date:Tuesday, February 18, 2003, 3:14
From: "Garth Wallace"

> Danny Wier wrote:
> > What happens is that the throat muscles above the glottis (that's where
> > pharynx, treachea and esophagus meet) contracts at the sides, a type of > > "gurgling" sound that also causes a backing of adjacent vowels, which
> > become "pharyngealized" (Maltese "gha" with a stroke through the "h" is
> > pharyngealized /a/). There is no such thing as a pharyngeal stop (that
> > be painful!), just the two fricatives in Arabic, voiceless and voiced. > > Ah, so it's less of a "choking" sound than a "hocking up phlegm" sound. > Got it.
That would be an "ultrafricative pharyngeoglottal ejective nuisance".