Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Phonological terminology question

From:Andreas Johansson <and_yo@...>
Date:Tuesday, February 18, 2003, 17:37
Daniel wrote:
>Fredrik Ekman wrote: > > > If I understand your description correctly, this exists in most northern > > Swedish dialects (and in some other Swedish dialects as well). It is >only > > used for a single word, "jo" /ju/, which means "yes" although it is >often > > inserted into a conversation as a means of saying "I hear you, I am >still > > listening" very much as an English speaker might say "uh-huh" or "yeah." > >We have it here in Stockholm as well, but probably not as >common. And now that I think of it, the sound is actually >just voiceless /ju/, but inhaled/ingressive. So IPA-wise >it would be /Cu_0/ but ingressive. I can't find a symbol >for that. > >And thinking even more, it's common around here to add >a /p/ at the end. So you get "yup", but Swedishized, >voiceless and ingressive. /Cu_0p/. :)
That ought to be a voiceless palatal approximant rather than a fullblown fricative, oughtn't it? I better don't ask how to IPAize a voiceless ingressive palatal approximant ... Herearounds, you may also hear ingressive /ja/. It appears to be a female thing, but I could be wrong on that. Andreas _________________________________________________________________ Protect your PC - get VirusScan Online


Fredrik Ekman <ekman@...>