Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Describing diphthongs

From:Trebor Jung <treborjung@...>
Date:Friday, August 6, 2004, 23:57
I only recall seeing diphthongs described like vowels once, and I might be
misremembering. So without any terminology to use to describe diphthongs in
my languages, I invented my own, e.g.
/ja/: prepalatalized low back unrounded vowel;
/aw/: labialized low back unrounded vowel;
etc. Do these terms even make sense (to me they do, but I'm not a linguist
so I'm probably wrong)? If not, what are some better terms?


Garth Wallace <gwalla@...>