Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: PHONO: "growled retroflex approximant"

From:Christophe Grandsire <christophe.grandsire@...>
Date:Thursday, March 21, 2002, 20:56
En réponse à J Y S Czhang <czhang23@...>:

> Hiya peeps, > Websurfin' Richard Harrison's website (Vorlin IIRC), I came across > this > sound: > "growled retroflex approximant" - described as being roughly like that > of the > American usage in _bird_ & _Turner_, written (orthographically) as > _rr_. > Is "growled retroflex approximant" the correct terminology? > How to X-SAMPA this sound? >
IIRC, the only possible sound it refers to in American "bird" is probably [3`] (in X-SAMPA), that is a rhotic open-mid central unrounded vowel (take the table of vowels, pinpoint the schwa, and than just go a very little bit to the left and down, but a very little bit, than add rhoticity, and you have the vowel :)) ). Christophe. Take your life as a movie: do not let anybody else play the leading role.