ng vs w
|From:||alexandre lang <allexpro@...>|
|Date:||Sunday, March 30, 2003, 0:14|
I just subscribed to this mailing list because i have just started building
a conlang as part of a school project.
I have chosen 6 vowels and 17 consonnants for my language. They have been
chosen according to their frequency of appearance in the world's 11 most
spoken languages. But i am now missing a phoneme. My two choices are 'W' and
'NG', but i am hesitating between both.
Here are some points that i have found:
* W appears in 6 of the 11 most spoken langauges
* NG appears in 5 of the 11 most spoken langauges
* W is in the other symbols section on the IPA chart
* NG is in the other symbols section on the IPA chart
(http://www.arts.gla.ac.uk/gifs/ipachart.gif) with all the other consonants
of my language
* In this book I take my data from, Concise Compendium of the World's
Languages, J and W are both sorted together as the only semi-vowles, so i am
thinking that if i have one, i should also have the other.
I would like to hear opinions on this, thank you.