Re: ng vs w
|From:||Isaac Penzev <isaacp@...>|
|Date:||Friday, April 4, 2003, 12:45|
> alexandre lang wrote:
> >> Yitzik votes for /w/ :-))
> >> ...and kill the /v/!
> > Ah, and why should the /v/ be killed?
> Because Yitzik doesn't like them. Not everything has a reason :)
1. You are right, I don't like them.
2. The lang I use most of time (Ukrainian) has no [v]s. Common Slavic phoneme
/v/ is realized as [B_o] before vowels, [w] before consonants and in auslaut
after vowels (where it can appear also < CS hard /l/), and [v_0] in auslaut
after two voiceless consonants:
- |trava| [t4a"B_oa] "grass"
- |krov| [k4Ow] "blood"
- |siv| [s_jiw] "he sat down" (< cf. Ru. |se^l|)
- |lavka| ["lawka] "bench"
- |vovk| [B_oOwk] "wolf" (cf. Ru. |volk|)
- |verstv| [B_oE4stv_0] "of layers" (G.pl.)