Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Rugby or Association?

From:John Cowan <cowan@...>
Date:Thursday, April 22, 2004, 13:40
Joe scripsit:

> Yes, but you only call one of them 'footballers'. There's Association > Football and Rugby Football(which, in turn, is divided between two sets > of rules - Rugby League and Rugby Union), true, but only the former is > ever called 'football', the latter simply 'Rugby'.
Ah, thanks. Which is doubtless why the game played in the U.S. is explained by the Encyc. Brit. under the heading of "American Rugby", which it exactly is. An excellent article, too, explaining the game in detail. Their article on "Cricket", OTOH, is a load of incomprehensible rubbish which assumes you already know all about the subject matter. (This may perhaps have been improved in more recent eds. than mine.) There are a number of Web pages that do much better. -- "Take two turkeys, one goose, four John Cowan cabbages, but no duck, and mix them together. After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life." --Groucho