Poll by Email No. 9
|From:||Peter Clark <peter-clark@...>|
|Date:||Saturday, April 27, 2002, 19:46|
This week's poll is brought to you by Jesse Bangs, who asks, "How large are
your phonologies? Do you prefer languages with lots of sounds or only a few?
Do you use elaborate allophonic rules?" Those are a lot of questions, but
we'll stick with the first one and let you comment on the others. Note: since
some of you have more than one conlang, pick either your favorite conlang or
the most "compete" when answering, your choice.
My conlang's phonetic inventory is:
A. Gigantic (+100)
B. Enormous (+75)
C. Huge (+60)
D. Expansive (+45)
E. Large (+30)
F. Average (+20)
G. Small (+15)
H. Tiny (+10)
I. Wee (+5)
To clarify, a conlang with 24 phonemes (not allophones!) would be average. A
conlang with 44 phonemes would be large, while 45 would be considered
1. Reply to firstname.lastname@example.org with your poll choice. DO NOT POST TO THE
2. If you desire, include a longer response in your email, outlining your
thoughts on the question.
3. By including a long response, you grant permission for your response to be
posted to the mailing list. If for some reason you wish to keep your response
private, please make that clear in the body of your email.
4. I reserve the right to edit your response for space and content. Not all
responses may be published.
5. All poll answers, however, will be accounted for. Multiple votes will not
count, you cheater. Hedging answers will be pounded into the closest category.
6. This is not scientific by any stretch of the imagination.
7. Poll topics welcome.
8. The poll results and a selection of responses will be posted next
Saturday, 4 May, along with a new poll question.