Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

CHAT: This or that that.

From:Lars Finsen <lars.finsen@...>
Date:Saturday, February 10, 2007, 22:32
I have an English phonology question... sorry, I mean EPQ, of course:
In school we learn here that the English a in words like 'that' is
pronounced [{]. But whenever I hear Englishmen speak, except BBC
newsreaders or upper class, I am hearing [a]. Of course my experience
is limited and I have travelled mostly in the north. (Planning a trip
to Liverpool this spring.) My school apparently has misinformed me,
or is my impression wrong? But if not - if no English dialects have
[{], where does school English have it from?



T. A. McLeay <relay@...>
daniel prohaska <danielprohaska@...>