Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

'garbageman v dustman'

From:Alan Grieve <algri@...>
Date:Tuesday, October 20, 1998, 5:42
>> That's what English does, even when the meaning is not so obvious. >> I've always felt strange about such words as "dustman", meaning the >> guy who removes the garbage from cans. I think I would have called >> him "degarbager" or something like that... > >"Garbageman" is the normal term in the U.S., though the people who >are so described prefer "san[itation]man", at least here in New >York City. "Dustman" is British, or perhaps Commonwealth, English.
'garbage-man or -person' is the usual word in Australia, with a colloquial form in 'garbo'. Alan Grieve