Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Question about a grammatical term

From:Nihil Sum <nihilsum@...>
Date:Wednesday, October 2, 2002, 4:56

I need to find out something. Someone who has more knowledge of grammar than
I do must know the answer to this: What is the term for the construction
where a noun is placed in front of another noun to modify it? Almost like
the first noun is acting as an adjective:

water cooler
basketball court
road rage
license plate
Coke machine
toilet humour
store hours


I ask because I noticed that this construction is completely absent from
Rhean. So I want to formalise this as a rule, and need to know the term for
it. Rhean would either put the first word in the genitive, or use an
adjective-forming suffix, or form a compound word (which is what a language
like German does to these anyway).


MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:


Christophe Grandsire <christophe.grandsire@...>