Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

CONLANG Digest - 26 Nov 2000 to 27 Nov 2000 (#2000-325)

From:Muke Tever <alrivera@...>
Date:Tuesday, November 28, 2000, 16:05
> From: D Tse <exponent@...> > Subject: Re: backwards conlanging > > >( has a neat table of > >common consonant changes, but doesn't say a darn thing about likely vowel > >changes. I'm still reading up on phonetics/phonology and historical > >linguistics so I can get a handle on the processes involved.)
> But the real point of this message is to ask whether anyone knows the > address of this "neat table of common consonant changes" mentioned above > which I have a bit of trouble finding --
> From: Nik Taylor <fortytwo@...> > Subject: Re: Lateralization > > Steg Belsky wrote: > > But is there a difference between "glottalized" and "ejective"? > > Ejective is a type of glottalized consonant. Implosives are the other > type.
Glottalized can also refer to creaky voice, IIRC.
> From: Yoon Ha Lee <yl112@...> > Subject: Re: backwards conlanging > > I have a stupid boring /i/ /e/ /a/ /o/ /u/ vowel system, with two > diphthongs. I guess I'll have to figure out something more complicated > that could've simplified down to the 5-vowel system.
Or something simpler that complexified to it, of course. Like PIE's *e/o, *i/y, and *u/w.
> From: "H. S. Teoh" <hsteoh@...> > Subject: Re: another silly phonology question > > I'll let better-clued list members answer that, but I'd like to say that > symmetry in languages is not 100%. For example, English has [h] but no > other glottals (at least not that I'm aware of).
Well, there's [?], but I don't think it's phonemic yet but an allophone of /t/, usually. *Muke! --