Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Vest and all.

From:abrigon <abrigon@...>
Date:Friday, December 3, 1999, 9:36
In the US we have panties or underpants (those you wear next to your
skin) versus Pants (Jeans, Slacks and all).

Vest is what you wear under your coat, but on top of your shirt (button
type and long sleeves normally), but you can have  a vest that is not
under a coat, but that is normally one used for hunting..


Date:    Thu, 2 Dec 1999 07:03:07 +010-
From:    Raymond Brown <ray.brown@...>
Subject: Re: Language revival

At 9:04 pm -0500 1/12/99, Nik Taylor wrote:
>John Cowan wrote: >> "Undershirt", I think. > >I've certainly never heard of an "undervest". What is a British
"vest"? You wear it under your shirt when the weather's cold :) I confess I am not au fait with US clothing terminology. I do know that our pants become underpants over there - that's probably why I got *undervest wrong :=( Acyually the term 'underpants' is more & more often used here - but we still wear trousers (or jeans) on the outside :) But I don't think I can face a long thread on clothing terminology ;) Ray. __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one place. Yahoo! Shopping: