Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

USAGE: plunk/plank

From:Tristan Alexander McLeay <anstouh@...>
Date:Thursday, January 17, 2002, 8:29
Sorry to waste a message with a non-conlang- (but still linguistic-)
related message, but I was wondering if anyone could help me find a word
and a derivation.

The word in question is 'plunk' or 'plank', we pronounce it /plAnk/ (or
/plVnk/). It's a thing put on a table that you put hot things onto so that
you don't damage the table or similar. As far as I can tell, it's just
used by my family---what is the normal word for it?

There are two possible derivations: either from a Dutch word (possibly
dialectal) or immitative. My mother's first language was a dialect of
Dutch and there are a few words that have been borrowed into my family's
speech from Dutch. Dad (who's only language is English) can't think of
another word for it, which suggests that either there *isn't* a normal
word for it or that it's immitative (one plunks the plunk/plank onto the
table and it makes a sort of plunky noise). Would any of the Dutch
speakers be able to enlighten me?




Almaran Dungeonmaster <dungeonmaster@...>