Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

USAGE: CHAT/USAGE: RE: [CONLANG] They Have a Word for It!

From:And Rosta <a.rosta@...>
Date:Saturday, August 4, 2001, 1:45
John Cowan:
> J Matthew Pearson wrote: > > > My favourite 'untranslatable' Swedish word is _fika_, a verb, > meaning roughly > > "to chat with friends over a cup of coffee" (right, Daniel?). When I was an > > exchange student in Sweden, we used _fika_ all the time, even when we were > > speaking English ("You wanna go _fika_?"). Such a useful word. > > Wudda deprived Westerner. All New Yorkers know that the English for > _fika_ is "shmooze".
In gentile Britain, shmoozing is the institutionalized socializing in professional life: one attends a social gathering as part of one's professional duties and one is required to shmooze - to engage in amiable smalltalk with charm, typically with the aim of winning friends and influencing people. I love to fika but I hate to shmooze. --And.


John Cowan <cowan@...>