Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Name those parts of speech

From:Gregory Gadow <techbear@...>
Date:Monday, November 19, 2007, 4:17
Here I go, asking questions again.

One of the core syntatic elements of my new conlang Baihe is the noun
phrase. The phrase is constructed with a root noun, its modifiers, and a
"concluding word."

Question 1: Baihe makes no distinction between adjective and adverb;
_zefoth_ can mean "quick" or "quickly" depending on whether it is used
with a noun or verb. Is there a proper name for this part of speech, or
is "modifier" sufficient? I have also used "qualitative," as in "a word
that describes a quality or property of another word."

The concluding word of a noun phrase can be any of the following,
generally picked from the first in the list that applies:

A) A specific quantifier giving an exact or approximate count ('three',
'one hundred-ish', 'half'.)

B) A non-specific quantifier ('some', 'many', 'a part of'.)

C) A demonstrative pronoun ('this near me', 'that near you', 'that

D) A noun or pronoun in the possessive or genitive case ('my',
'Sarah's', 'of the king'.)

E) The article _mla_.

Question 2: I am using "article" to describe the default, "if there is
nothing else" concluding word. Is there a proper name for a group of
words used in this manner?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Gregory Gadow


David J. Peterson <dedalvs@...>