Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Name those parts of speech

From:David J. Peterson <dedalvs@...>
Date:Monday, November 19, 2007, 8:26
Question 1: Baihe makes no distinction between adjective and adverb;
_zefoth_ can mean "quick" or "quickly" depending on whether it is used
with a noun or verb.

In other words, whether it's used as an adjective or an adverb.

(1) I received an IM.
(2) I IM'd you yesterday.

Here, we have "IM" as a noun and a verb.  We don't have a new
part of speech for it, though: it's a noun if it's a noun, and a verb
if it's a verb.  The same would be true of /zefoth/ (and is also
the case with grammatical descriptions of languages like Hawaiian,
where many [most?] words can be used as verbs, nouns, adjectives
*and* adverbs).

Question 2: I am using "article" to describe the default, "if there is
nothing else" concluding word. Is there a proper name for a group of
words used in this manner?

It's theory dependent, but the word used commonly is "determiner".
In a syntactic theory, that'd be the specifier position: the thing
required to make a noun phrase a noun phrase.

"sunly eleSkarez ygralleryf ydZZixelje je ox2mejze."
"No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn."

-Jim Morrison