TECH HELP: Kura
|From:||Arthaey Angosii <arthaey@...>|
|Date:||Saturday, August 14, 2004, 5:02|
I was looking forward to Kura being my Linux-replacement for Shoebox.
However, I've had several problems with it:
* if I connect to the MySQL database, I can only do so once. After
that, Kura dies on the next startup with "AttributeError: 'NoneType'
object has no attribute 'select'". To "fix" the problem, I have to
uninstall and reinstall Kura!
* changes don't actually seem to be saved to the database, as checked
by logging in directly via command-line mysql
* the Export feature only works for .sgml format, which can't be
transformed via db2ps like the manual suggests
* trying sgml2xml gives a bunch of errors like:
"X20AC" is not a function name". Perhaps this is a Unicode-related
* the interlinear text view don't seem friendly to agglutinative languages
* copy-pasting IPA characters from the ClearlyU font via KCharSelect
(like the manual suggests) doesn't always display correctly -- I get
boxes in one of the interlinear detail tabs, if I remember correctly.
(I'd check, but I don't want to reinstall Kura a third time.)
If I'm just totally in the dark about how to actually use Kura, and
some more veteran user could help me out, I'd be delighted. Overall,
Kura looks like it has some real promise, but I can't seem to get it
to play nicely.