Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: LONG: Latest Wenetaic Stuff

From:Nik Taylor <fortytwo@...>
Date:Friday, October 29, 1999, 1:14
FFlores wrote:
> I think it's called a rhotic (or retroflex?) schwa. In IPA, it's > a schwa with a little hook or wedge ^ on the top-right.
Depends on the linguist. Others analyze it as a syllabic r, indicated by an inverted r with a rightward tail and a small vertical line under it to indicate syllabic.
> I've heard it's actually a lateralized flap, but that's really > difficult to imagine.
Also retroflex I've always read. -- "Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia." -- Joseph Wood Krutch ICQ #: 18656696 AIM screen-name: NikTailor