Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Stop Me Before I Call Them Verblets!

From:Joseph Fatula <fatula3@...>
Date:Tuesday, December 10, 2002, 12:28
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Grossmann" <steven@...>
To: <CONLANG@...>
Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 8:59 AM
Subject: Stop Me Before I Call Them Verblets!

> In my grammar for my latest imaginary language, Kranre, I don't have > infinitives, but use sequences of finite verbs to do the work that finite
> infinitive sequences do in English. > (Is that called a serial verb construction?) > > But I have two kinds of participle. > > 1. One forms noun-adjuncts that do the work of brief particple
clauses and
> postpositional phrases. e.g. > > MAN HOUSE BE-IN-NOUN.ADJUNCT.PARTICIPLE > (the man in the house) > > WOMAN HORSE RIDE-NOUN.ADJUNCT.PARTICIPLE > (the woman riding the horse) > > 2. The other kind of participle forms verb-adjuncts that do the work
> brief absolute clauses. > > SMOKE EMIT-VERB.ADJUNCT.PARTICIPLE CAR CRASH-PAST > (billowing smoke, the car crashed) > > Any ideas on what I should call these kinds of participles? > > Stop me before I call them "verblets"! > > Thanks to all who answer, > > Jim
Perhaps just verbs that can be used to make dependant clauses? That view seems perfectly fine to me. Just as we in English have participular forms of verbs, you might have adjunct-clause forms of verbs. Joe Fatula