Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Stop Me Before I Call Them Verblets!

From:Jeff Jones <jeffsjones@...>
Date:Friday, December 13, 2002, 13:02
On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 04:42:45 -0800, Joseph Fatula <fatula3@...>

>----- Original Message ----- >From: "Jim Grossmann" <steven@...> >To: <CONLANG@...> >Sent: Saturday, December 07, 2002 8:59 AM >Subject: Stop Me Before I Call Them Verblets! > > >> In my grammar for my latest imaginary language, Kranre, I don't have >> infinitives, but use sequences of finite verbs to do the work that >> finite + infinitive sequences do in English. >> (Is that called a serial verb construction?) >> >> But I have two kinds of participle. >> >> 1. One forms noun-adjuncts that do the work of brief particple >> clauses and postpositional phrases. e.g. >> >> MAN HOUSE BE-IN-NOUN.ADJUNCT.PARTICIPLE >> (the man in the house) >> >> WOMAN HORSE RIDE-NOUN.ADJUNCT.PARTICIPLE >> (the woman riding the horse) >> >> 2. The other kind of participle forms verb-adjuncts that do the >> work of brief absolute clauses. >> >> SMOKE EMIT-VERB.ADJUNCT.PARTICIPLE CAR >> CRASH-PAST >> (billowing smoke, the car crashed) >> >> Any ideas on what I should call these kinds of participles? >> >> Stop me before I call them "verblets"! >> >> Thanks to all who answer, >> >> Jim > >Perhaps just verbs that can be used to make dependant clauses? That view >seems perfectly fine to me. Just as we in English have participular forms >of verbs, you might have adjunct-clause forms of verbs. > >Joe Fatula
I might call the latter type coverbs, but I'm certainly no expert. Jeff