Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Name that case

From:Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>
Date:Sunday, November 11, 2007, 21:34
On Nov 11, 2007 2:55 PM, Gregory Gadow <techbear@...> wrote:
> Take a look at these two sentences: > > A) I gave the book TO YOU. > B) I received the book FROM YOU. > > In sentence A, "to you" would take the dative case.
In most languages. In some it would take the allative - the English can be interpreted either way.
> In sentence B, "from > you" would take a different case (I know there is a proper name, but I > can't remember what it is.)
> The conlang I am working on uses the same case in both sentences, > basically "the second party involved in an act of transferral, neither > the agent nor patient of the verb." Is there a proper name for this > case?
Well, there are languages that use the dative this way; despite the name, the Latin preposition "ab" sometimes governs the dative. But as for a proper term for specifically the wider scope, I don't know. -- Mark J. Reed <markjreed@...>


R A Brown <ray@...>