Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Time to play Identify Those Phones, and a bit of a pharyngeal question

From:Eric Christopherson <raccoon@...>
Date:Wednesday, March 1, 2000, 6:41
The two sounds I'm wondering about are like crosses between [s] and [T]. The
first one seems to be about the same as [s], except that the tip of the
tongue is placed against the bottom teeth, and friction is produced between
the top teeth and the tongue body. The second sound is similar, but the
tongue sticks out between the teeth a bit, resting on the bottom ones and
creating friction against the top. Does anyone know what terminology I would
use to describe these, and what IPA symbols to use for them?

Also, what general effects do pharyngeals have on surrounding vowels? I
remember reading that [i] became [E] and [u] became [O] in pharyngeal
environments in some language, but I'm not sure. An explanation of why they
are influenced that way would help as well. Thanks!

Eric Christopherson / *Aiworegs Ghristobhorosyo suHnus