Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: What kind is this?

From:Nik Taylor <fortytwo@...>
Date:Monday, October 26, 1998, 22:45
Sam Bryant wrote:
> My current language (known only as AS, I always get hung up on deciding on > names, so I've given up on that) makes a three-way a distinction between the > subject of an instransitive verb, the subject of a transitive verb, and the > object of a transitive verb. What is the name for this distincion? What are the > standard names for these cases?
You've got yourself a tripartite system there. The names are agent (subject of transitive), patient (object of transitive), and "subject" (subject of intransitive verb) is the common name for the role, but I'd use "intransitive". -- "It's bad manners to talk about ropes in the house of a man whose father was hanged." - Irish proverb ICQ: 18656696 AOL: NikTailor