Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Greekisms in Spanish

From:Brian Betty <bbetty@...>
Date:Thursday, February 18, 1999, 16:59
On 2-17-99, Pablo Flores wrote: "'fascis' 'a lot of plant stems tied
together" (what's the English word?)"

The English word for those are 'fasces,' a borrowing of the Latin
terminology. If you are referring to a more colloquial term, you may be
thinking of 'sheaf,' but that only means "wheat tops tied together,' as in
a Roman statue of Ceres.

They call me Coffee 'cause I grind so fine.
God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.
Only 319 shopping days left before the end of the world.