Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

YAEDT (was Re: "write him" (was Re: More questions))

From:phild <phild@...>
Date:Friday, November 28, 2003, 1:25
Stephen Mulraney wrote:
> > _I'm after going there_: I mean "I've just gone there". Interpreted as > "I want to go there" (bizarrely phrased)
This is a strange phrasing to my ears, but I'd interpret it as "I want to go there." ("I'm after X" where X is inanimate, generally means "I'm looking for X," "I want to obtain X," or "I want to do X." _I'm after eating Chinese_ = _I want to go to a Chinese restaurant_.)
> _press_: I mean "cupboard" (which to me means a "kitchen dresser"). > Interpreted as... God knows what. The strangest connection that I've > heard someone make was to a device for storing tennis racquets in (I > believe I'd just told him that "the bread is in the press" or such :)
"The bread is in the press" would make me think that the bread is in a machine or tool which is compressing it (probably while toasting it). A "cupboard" is a box on the wall with shelves and a hinged door, usually in the kitchen where plates and food are kept. A "dresser" is an item of furniture with drawers, kept in the bedroom, in which clothing is kept. I've never heard of a "kitchen dresser" (which to me sounds like someone who habitually dresses himself in the kitchen).
> _pot_: I mean a "saucepan" (a word I can't bring myself to use - it's > like saying _spikespoon_ for _fork_). Sometimes understood. Thanks to > context, I've never had it taken as a reference to marijuana. But I'm > surprised it misunderstood at all.
A "pan" or "saucepan" has low sides. A "pot" has tall sides. A "pot" is also the container for houseplants. Sometimes children refer to a "pail" as a "pot."
> In the other direction, I once missed out on a useful aid in a maths > exam by not understanding what was meant by a little footnote in the > exam regulations which said that a _crib-sheet_ was permitted (it's a > sheet of paper you prepare before the exam with formulas and notes of > your choice_permitted (it's a sheet of paper you prepare before the exam > with formulas and notes of your choice).
"Crib-sheet" is used in the United States, but younger people generally use the term "cheat-sheet" for the same thing.
> > But the whole phrase is something that would never occur in my 'lect, > > or I suspect in most US dialects, even with a preposition > > inserted. First of all, I never hear the word "stop-cock" over here; > > it's a "faucet". And that term doesn't refer to the thing you turn, > > but to the whole assembly as a unit. So I would talk about "turning
> > faucet off", or less specifically turning the "water" or "sink" off. > > If I *were* going to refer to the thing you turn directly, I'd call it > > a "valve". > > Ah, as Padraic has suggested, it doesn't mean a "tap". I've just spent > a few minutes peering into cold, spidery corners of the house, to make > sure my notion of it is the right one; to no avail. But it's a valve > on the main water line into the house, and I believe it is basically a > two-winged "tap-handle". I say "tap-handle", because I don't think I > know of a word to refer specifically to the thing you turn, unless it's > the _knob_ which you'd use only if for some reason you actually needed > to point out that it's the knob that should be turned, not the whole > assembly:)
If the device to open or close a pipe is in-line, it's called a "valve." If it is open on one end, as at a sink, then it's called a "faucet" in the Midwestern United States, "tap" or "spigot" in other parts. (On a keg of beer, it's called a "tap" everywhere.) --Ph. D.


Garth Wallace <gwalla@...>