Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Cloakroom

From:Keith Bertelsen <conlang@...>
Date:Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 17:51
> Note that IML both the thing in the kitchen and the thing in the > bathroom are called "sinks", and what differences there are between > them are insufficient to put them in different categories.
Same here. A sink is a bowl (flattish or roundish) made of ceramic, plastic, or metal set in a counter that has an attached faucet (or two) that points down and associated plumbing for draining and water temperature. A basin, however, is just a (rigid) container for holding water without a faucet attached. However, such usage as anything around a house is utterly odd to me; I would usually prefer to call it a bucket or a bowl or just a container, depending on what it exactly was. "Basin" is a geographic term for a big dip in the ground that water might sometime flood. -- Keith Bertelsen rameo xi lur sa wavanetao ci men fuxei ru. macali ra yanemesen xi miral ni ruimecazei ru, savei ru men fuxen xi cosli ra nuo. men ona ra estelai. - jei ar ar tolcin "I wish life was not so short," he thought. "Languages take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J. R. R. Tolkien