Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: CHAT: Speed cameras (was: Word usage in English dialects)

From:Paul Bennett <paul-bennett@...>
Date:Friday, February 4, 2005, 20:42
----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas R. Wier" <trwier@...>

> Typically, when one > speeds (and we simply call them "speeders") and gets caught, the > policeman writes you a ticket, and you have the opportunity to > contest it in court. There are three options: "innocent", "guilty", > and "no contest".
In North Carolina, at least, there's also something called a "prayer for judgement", which can be asked for and granted by the judge. As I understand it (and I may only understand it in vague terms), it's roughly the same as a suspended sentence: it's a guilty plea/verdict, but punishment is postponed until such time as you are convicted a second time. If a certain time passes, the conviction is made, if not null and void, at least irrelevant. IME, judges are only generally willing to grant a prayer for judgement for first offenses. Paul