Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Nouns for things that occur in pairs

From:Vladimir Vysotsky <trivee@...>
Date:Friday, May 30, 2008, 3:13
Eric Christopherson wrote:
> I remember reading somewhere that some languages have a special marking > for nouns for things that normally occur in pairs. What do you call this > phenomenon? Is it an example of grammatical number (and if so, what is > that number called?) And does anyone how those markings evolved?
Singulative? Nomen unitatis? There exist very specific examples in Sindarin: gwanu^n "pair of twins" - gwanunig "twin" lhaw "ears (of one person)" - lhewig "one ear". Vlad.