Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Nouns for things that occur in pairs

From:ROGER MILLS <rfmilly@...>
Date:Monday, May 26, 2008, 16:44
Charlie wrote:
>On this subject, I have a word in Senjecas "gaqtos" which means one of >a pair. The trouble is that I can't think of a situation in which it >might be used! BTW, the word is from the proto-Dravidian lexicon. >
Quite useful I think :-)) Why Dravidian???? We tend to use "mate" for objects ("I see my left shoe, but where's its mate?" etc.) but not for body parts ("He went blind in one eye ten years ago, and now (*its mate) _the other one_ is going bad too") "The other one" can be used for objects too, of course.