Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: CHAT: "have a nice day"

From:Roger Mills <rfmilly@...>
Date:Sunday, March 12, 2000, 1:05
In a message dated 3/11/2000 3:21:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dennis@HIMES.CONNIX.COM writes:

<<   In the U.S. these are also two different things.  The bumpers are on the
 front and back of the car and the fenders are on the sides.>>
YEARS ago, I was the proud/happy owner of a Jaguar Mark IV Drophead
(convertible) affectionately known as The White Heap-- and anglophilic
friends owned MGs and Morgans-- I seem to recall that US fenders were known
as "wings" or, if easily detachable (as on motorcycles and Morgans)
"mudguards".  Ah, those were the days.  I no longer pay much attention to
things automotive-- do we still call them fenders? (a generational thing,
like "icebox"?)  or just "front quarter" (and so much more expensive to

> rubber,
In the U.S. a rubber can be either a) a waterproof covering for a shoe, b) a condom, or c) (rare) an eraser. >> My grandmother (c 1890-1973) had (c)....stifled laughter.