Theiling Online    Sitemap    Conlang Mailing List HQ   

Re: Celtic, semitic, etc.

Date:Monday, May 1, 2000, 19:28
On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Nik Taylor wrote:

> > Kilts, I thought, were a fairly recent (i.e. two or three centuries ago) > > Scots invention replacing the older, more awkward philibeg. > > Oh? And what precisely is a philibeg?
The little kilt--specifically what is called a "kilt" in Scotland. The larger garment (belted plaid) is called either the breacan fieli [sic] (belted wrap) or the philimor (a back-formation from philibeg). How the philibeg got transformed into the philimor is beyond me.